Col. Christopher D. Witter is the commander of the 914th Mission Support Group at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, New York. Witter leads the efforts of over 600 Airmen, including six squadrons and one contracting flight. Witter is also responsible for 900 acres of federal property. His efforts ultimately support KC-135 strategic airlift and air refueling operations across the world.
Witter enlisted in the Air Force in August of 1988 as a security policeman, where he served ten years of active duty until joining the Air Force Reserve in July of 1999. The colonel earned a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice administration from Bellevue University and received his commission in May of 2000 from the Academy of Military Science at McGee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee. He has served as an operations officer, chief of security forces, squadron commander, and deputy group commander in both the Air Reserve and the Air National Guard. Before assuming his current position, he served as deputy commander of the 434th Mission Support Group at Grissom Air Reserve Base, Indiana.
Witter has deployed in support of Operations Desert Storm, Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1997 Bachelors of Science, Criminal Justice Administration, Bellevue University, Bellevue, Neb.
2000 Academy of Military Science, McGee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2008 Masters of Science, Security Management, Bellevue University, Bellevue, Neb.
2009 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College Blended Seminar Program, Quantico Marine Corps Base, Va.
2015 Air Reserve Component Seminar, Air War College, McGee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2018 U.S. Army War College, in residence, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2018 Masters of Science, Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. August 1988 – November 1988, trainee, Basic Military Training & Security Forces Academy, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1988 – December 1988, trainee, Ground Combat Skills, Fort Dix, N.J.
3. January 1989 – August 1991, response force member, 3906th Special Security Squadron, Strategic Air Command Elite Guard, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. August 1991 – September 1992, response force leader, 51st Security Police Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. September 1992 – October 1997, wing resource protection non-commissioned officer, 55th Security Forces Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. October 1997 – July 1999, instructor, 421st Training Squadron, Fort Dix, N.J.
7. July 1999 – July 2005, operations officer, 910th Security Forces Squadron, Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio
8. July 2005 – January 2009, chief, security forces, Headquarters Alaska National Guard Detachment 1, 213th Space Warning Squadron, Security Forces, Clear Air Force Station, Alaska
9. January 2009 – June 2015, commander, 434th Security Forces Squadron, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind.
10. June 2015 – July 2017, deputy commander, 434th Mission Support Group, Grissom ARB, Ind.
11. July 2017 – June 2018, student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
12. June 2018 – September 2019, deputy commander, 434th Mission Support Group, Grissom ARB, Ind.
13. September 2019 – Present, commander, 914th Mission Support Group, Niagara Falls ARS, N.Y.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with gold border
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour Ribbon
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two “M” devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 5, 2000
First Lieutenant May 5, 2002
Captain May 5, 2004
Major June 28, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 15, 2013
Colonel Nov. 1, 2018
(Current as of September 2020)