Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station (NFARS) traces its lineage back to 1943 when Bell Aircraft Corporation began building structures capable of designing and producing experimental aircraft. Two years later, Bell built and tested the Bell X-1 experimental aircraft at Niagara Falls before taking it west to make aviation history. In 1947, Capt. Chuck Yeager became the first person to travel faster than the speed of sound in the X-1 at Edwards Air Force Base, California.
Since the 1940s, NFARS has been home to over 20 different military cargo, refueling, and fighter aircraft.
The 914th Air Refueling Wing's 328th Air Refueling Squadron traces its lineage back to April 15, 1944, when Lt. Col. John Moriarty assembled the 3rd Combat Cargo Squadron where they flew the C-47 Skytrain across The Hump, a dangerous and often deadly flight over the Himalayas to resupply ground forces in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II. For over seven decades, the 328th has flown the C-47, C-119 Boxcar, C-130 Hercules, and the KC-135 Stratotanker in several campaigns and conflicts.
On June 3, 2017, the 914th Airlift Wing was redesignated the 914th Air Refueling Wing, exchanging an inventory of C-130 Hercules for eight KC-135 Stratotankers. Today, the 914th carried on our tradition of striving for perfection. We're constantly called upon by our joint partners to ensure mission completion through global reach, whenever, wherever.