The 328th Air Refueling Squadron of the 914th Air Refueling Wing at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station traces its lineage back to April 15, 1944, when Lt. Col. John Moriarty put together the 3rd Combat Cargo Squadron. Nicknamed The Lucky Third
, the crew fearlessly flew The Hump
, one of the most treacherous and often deadly flight paths in recorded aviation history where they resupplied ground forces in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II.
Ever since, the 328th Air Refueling Squadron have carried on a tradition of aviation excellence by supporting several other campaigns and conflicts to include personnel and cargo transport after the Battle of Kuwait International Airport, the fastest and largest Marine tank battle in history, on Feb. 27, 1991.